In this episode, we are joined by Dr. Andrew Newberg, a neuroscientist known for his research on mystical experiences, meditation and enlightenment.
About the episode
In this episode, you will learn about:
- How Newberg was one of Steven’s first mentors (2:30)
- The feeling of oneness (4:00)
- What is neurotheology (6:00)
- The intersection of Eastern and Wester philosophies and science (9:00)
- The presence of god in the mystical experience (14:00)
- The brain during a mystical experience (14:30)
- Definition of the state of enlightenment (19:30)
- The components of the enlightenment experience (22:00)
- Brain changes and permanence (31:20)
- Dopamine production in the mystical experience (39:00)
- The emotional high of flow over time (44:30)
- The intensity and neurochemistry of love (51:30)
- What makes things feel real to us (1:02:00)
- Newberg’s current research and findings (1:07:30)
About the guest
Dr. Andrew Newberg is a neuroscientist who studies the relationship between brain function and various mental states.
He is a pioneer in the neurological study of religious and spiritual experiences, a field known as “neurotheology.” His research includes taking brain scans of people in prayer, meditation, rituals, and trance states, in an attempt to better understand the nature of religious and spiritual practices and attitudes.